Miracle foods for healthy hair:
‘You are what you eat” is the apt line to enforce the importance of proper and healthy diet for lustrous and healthy looking hair for the wedding season. Nutritional deficiency of any form results in dry, brittle hair and eventually hair loss. The tip for the beautiful and lustrous hair lies in eating right food, exercising, proper sleep and reduced stress. Here’s a list of food items which can be in corporate in the diet for healthy and lustrous hair.
- Nuts and dried fruits: These are not only the convenient mode of portable snack but are also rich source of iron, sulphur, biotin which promotes hair growth. Almonds and walnuts are rich in protein and vitamin E which strengthens the hair roots and prevents hair fall.
Excess of nuts should be avoided, portion size should be 2-4 tablespoon. Excess may cause gastro intestinal disturbance since these are high in fiber, further leading to weight gain, sugar crash.
- Avocados: Avocados are loaded with Vitamin B,C, E and K, folate and potassium making it the best food for the hair. These are also rich in healthy fats (oleic acid) which provides the natural conditioning and shiny looking hair.
One can incorporate Avocados in the diet as a spread on the chicken/egg sandwich instead of mayonnaise, can cut chunks of it n put it in vegetable salad as well use it as a spread on bread toast instead of butter.
One disadvantage to eating too much avocado (even though it contains monosaturated fat which is good for cholesterol) is that you might end up putting up with too much fat.
- Salmons: One of the reasons for dry scalp and dull looking hair is deficiency of Omega 3. Salmons are loaded with good amount of Omega 3 which helps to open the hair follicle further promoting hair growth as well as in vitamin B12 and iron for preventing hair fall.
Although Salmons are low in mercury, fresh ,frozen and wild salmons should be preferred over the prepared once since it has all the more reduced mercury in it. One can add a dash of olive oil to cooked salmons to further enhance the fat health benefits.
- Eggs: Eggs are rich source of vitamin A, B12, D, E and K which helps in the repair of damaged hair by penetrating deep into the roots of hair follicle. Vitamin E in eggs helps to keep the hair texture smoother and well nourished. It is the storehouse of good minerals like sulphur, iron, zinc and selenium which helps to fasten the hair growth and provide it with the nourishment
Eggs can be best breakfast option may it be in the form of omelets or simply hard boiled, can club it with the sandwich or simply can be consumed as egg salad.
One can make a hair mask of egg and yoghurt which contains good amount of sulphur. Apply the same for 30-40 mins and wash off with cold water. It acts as a natural conditioner and the result is shiny and beautiful hair.
- Tomatoes: Lastly one of the items which are abundantly rich in lycopene is tomatoes. Lycopene protects the hair from sun damage and helps in the repair of the damaged hair follicle.
Excess of tomatoes consumption should be avoided as it may cause irritable bowel syndrome and as it is not recommended for people with kidney stones.
It is a very simple food which can be incorporated with any of the other food items or simply consumed with the olive oil sprinkles with the salad.